By Nate Campi
Whether you wish a community of ten Linux computers and a server or an information middle with a couple of thousand UNIX nodes, you must know the way to automate a lot of the set up, configuration, and traditional approach management.
Build your community as soon as utilizing cfengine, and the community construct will paintings, with out consumer intervention, on any you wish. Automating Linux and Unix method management, moment Edition is exclusive in its specialise in easy methods to make the procedure administrator's task more uncomplicated and extra effective: rather than simply handling the process administrator's time, the booklet explains the know-how to automate repetitive projects and the technique to automate successfully.
- Both new and pro pros will cash in on industry–leading insights into the automation method.
- System directors will reach an intensive grab of cfengine, kickstart, and shell scripting for automation.
- After examining all chapters and following all routines during this booklet, the reader might be capable of manage something from a Linux info middle to a small place of work community.
Read Online or Download Automating Linux and Unix System Administration PDF
Similar linux books
Strengthen the abilities you wish within the genuine world
Hit the floor working with the street-smart education you'll locate during this functional e-book. utilizing a "year within the life" process, it provides an inside of examine Linux management, with key details prepared round the real daily projects, situations, and demanding situations you'll face within the box. This necessary education instrument is loaded with hands-on, step by step workouts protecting all stages of Linux management, including:
* engaged on the command line
* Configuring and the kernel
* coping with software program and processes
* Documenting the system
* operating with walls and dossier systems
* Configuring community features
* dealing with security
An important examine tool
This no-nonsense publication additionally maps to the typical initiatives and examination ambitions for the Linux specialist Institute (LPI) LPIC-1 certification examination and CompTIA's Linux+ certification examination. So even if you're getting ready for certification or looking sensible abilities to damage into the sphere, you'll locate the guideline you would like, such as:
* utilizing the command shell history
* Redirecting enter and output
* Resolving conflicts
* Reconfiguring the login screen
* dealing with RPM and Debian packages
* preserving your procedure from runaway processes
* tracking your method for degraded functionality and safety problems
* utilizing journaling filesystems
* Configuring universal server software
The road Smarts sequence is designed to aid present or aspiring IT execs placed their certification to paintings for them. filled with functional, actual international eventualities, each one e-book good points real initiatives from the sector after which deals step by step routines that train the abilities essential to whole these initiatives. and as the workouts are established upon examination targets from major know-how certifications, every one road Smarts ebook can be utilized as a lab handbook for certification prep.
This booklet says "Covering nine. 10 and 10. four" (sic) at the entrance hide, again hide, name web page and copyright web page. simply if you learn the final sentence of a paragraph within the advent 17 pages into the ebook do you spot "This booklet covers Ubuntu model nine. 10". after which, on all 826 pages, there isn't a unmarried point out of Ubuntu 10!
Truthfully, i actually do not know the way somebody can provide this publication five stars. to begin off on a favorable tone, i'm going to say what I loved approximately it.
1) plenty of info. there isn't any denying this, it's very informitive. even though, this can be a double edged swords (will speak about later)
2) the fundamental drivers are defined pretty much. The scull driving force is an effective strategy to ease into motive force improvement, imo. easy sufficient that it is not too overwhelming and ununderstandable, yet now not overly basic so you truly get an idea of what is going on.
3) it really is free.
That's it for the positives. Now for a major record of negatives.
1) lots of the info is irrelevent. i believe just like the authors misplaced concentration because the e-book went on, and forgot they weren't writing a basic "Linux Kernel" publication yet a selected e-book for drivers. Many a time do they spend pages upon pages happening approximately anything, purely to say "but this is often by no means utilized by learn motive force builders" on the finish. you find yourself in a very disagreeable state of affairs the place you might want to sift via a host of lifeless details to get to the precious stuff. more often than not i finished up simply looking google, and acquired larger results.
2) loss of extra advanced examples. let's accept it, not anyone must write a very uncomplicated char driving force. even if, that is as complicated because the examples get. past the scull motive force, it is simply code fragments. I essentially desire you do not have to write down a serial tty gadget. Which leads me to my subsequent point.
3) outmoded. Many kernel API adjustments were made to the purpose the place the code isn't any longer compilable (especially at the tty front). equipment utilized in the publication were performed away with within the more moderen kernel API's.
Honestly, you are far better off simply resorting to Google. a good way to write your individual motive force and also you learn via this booklet, you will nonetheless don't know the place to begin. The capabilities within the scull driving force are well-described, yet that is it. The authors use an excessive amount of house writing approximately dead crap you actually do not care approximately, and this comes on the fee of worthwhile info
that will really assist you write drivers.
This publication will most likely arise in your google searches, and it would be worthy it to skim the normal chapters. truthfully although, it is not going to inform you whatever your different seek effects will not. this can be most certainly no longer the "end all, be all" of writing linux drivers, it simply occurs to be the one one.
- SELinux System Administration
- Linux Cluster Architecture (Kaleidoscope)
- Moving to Ubuntu Linux
- Malware Forensics Field Guide for Linux Systems: Digital Forensics Field Guides
- Ubuntu on a Dime: The Path to Low-Cost Computing
- Networking Linux: A Practical Guide to TCP IP
Extra resources for Automating Linux and Unix System Administration
_kii]j`/# Bej]hhu(gehhpda]cajp]j`atep gehh OOD[=CAJP[LE@ atep, This script would prompt you for the passphrase only once, store the private key in the agent, perform several operations, and then kill the agent when it was finished. 35 36 CHAPTER 3 N USING S S H TO A U TOMA TE S YS TEM A D M I N I S T R A T I O N S E C U R E LY NNote You can find the code samples for this chapter in the Downloads section of the Apress web site (dppl6++sss*]lnaoo*_ki). Forwarding Keys You can configure your SSH client to forward your ood)]cajp as well.
Who Owns the Systems? The systems and services on your network aren’t yours to change at will. Normally your company has established people empowered to make business decisions about when a service can and should go down for maintenance. These staff members understand the established requirements for advance notifications to customers, partners, and users. They usually also understand internal or external factors that would affect whether a scheduled time is a good fit for the business. You can’t decide on your own to make changes in an unannounced window, or perform maintenance that takes down some functionality of your applications or systems without prior approval.
12 CHAPTER 1 N INTR ODU C ING THE B A S IC S OF A U TOM A T I O N You also need to be able to verify a system’s status. Does it have the latest security updates? Is it configured correctly? Are the drives being monitored? Is it using your newest automation scripts, or old ones? These are all important questions, and you should be able to easily determine the answers if your automation system is implemented properly. In many cases, detecting problems is a great step forward in your automation process.
Automating Linux and Unix System Administration by Nate Campi