By Navin Sabharwal
Automation via Chef Opscode offers an in-depth realizing of Chef, that's written in Ruby and Erlang for configuration administration, cloud infrastructure administration, procedure management, and community administration.
distinct at directors, specialists, and architect, the ebook publications them in the course of the complicated positive factors of the instrument that are worthy for infrastructure automation, devops automation, and reporting. The booklet presumes wisdom of Ruby and Erlang that are used as reference languages for growing recipes and cookbooks and as a refresher on them to assist the reader get on velocity with the movement of e-book.
The publication offers step-by-step directions on set up and configuration of Chef, utilization eventualities of Chef, in infrastructure automation by means of delivering universal eventualities like digital desktop provisioning, OS configuration for Windows, Linux, and Unix, provisioning and configuration of internet servers like Apache in addition to well known databases like MySQL.
It extra elaborates at the production of recipes, and cookbooks, which assist in deployment of servers and functions to any actual, digital, or cloud position, regardless of the dimensions of the infrastructure.
The books covers complicated featureslike LWRPs and Knife and additionally includes numerous illustrative pattern cookbooks on MySQL, Apache, and CouchDB deployment utilizing a step-by-step approach.
Read or Download Automation through Chef Opscode PDF
Best linux books
Improve the abilities you wish within the actual world
Hit the floor operating with the street-smart education you'll locate during this sensible publication. utilizing a "year within the life" process, it delivers an inside of examine Linux management, with key details geared up round the real daily initiatives, eventualities, and demanding situations you'll face within the box. This worthwhile education device is loaded with hands-on, step by step workouts protecting all stages of Linux management, including:
* engaged on the command line
* Configuring and the kernel
* handling software program and processes
* Documenting the system
* operating with walls and dossier systems
* Configuring community features
* dealing with security
An helpful research tool
This no-nonsense booklet additionally maps to the typical initiatives and examination ambitions for the Linux specialist Institute (LPI) LPIC-1 certification examination and CompTIA's Linux+ certification examination. So no matter if you're getting ready for certification or looking sensible abilities to wreck into the sector, you'll locate the guide you wish, such as:
* utilizing the command shell history
* Redirecting enter and output
* Resolving conflicts
* Reconfiguring the login screen
* coping with RPM and Debian packages
* retaining your process from runaway processes
* tracking your method for degraded functionality and safeguard problems
* utilizing journaling filesystems
* Configuring universal server software
The road Smarts sequence is designed to assist present or aspiring IT pros placed their certification to paintings for them. choked with functional, actual global eventualities, each one publication positive aspects real projects from the sphere after which deals step by step routines that train the talents essential to whole these projects. and as the workouts are established upon examination targets from best expertise certifications, each one highway Smarts booklet can be utilized as a lab handbook for certification prep.
This booklet says "Covering nine. 10 and 10. four" (sic) at the entrance conceal, again disguise, identify web page and copyright web page. in simple terms for those who learn the final sentence of a paragraph within the creation 17 pages into the ebook do you notice "This ebook covers Ubuntu model nine. 10". after which, on all 826 pages, there's not a unmarried point out of Ubuntu 10!
Truthfully, i actually do not know the way someone may give this booklet five stars. to begin off on a favorable tone, i'm going to say what I loved approximately it.
1) plenty of details. there isn't any denying this, it's very informitive. although, this can be a double edged swords (will talk about later)
2) the elemental drivers are defined pretty much. The scull motive force is an efficient technique to ease into driving force improvement, imo. easy sufficient that it isn't too overwhelming and ununderstandable, yet no longer overly basic so you truly get an idea of what is going on.
3) it really is free.
That's it for the positives. Now for a major checklist of negatives.
1) lots of the details is irrelevent. i think just like the authors misplaced concentration because the publication went on, and forgot they weren't writing a common "Linux Kernel" e-book yet a particular booklet for drivers. Many a time do they spend pages upon pages happening approximately whatever, basically to say "but this can be by no means utilized by learn driving force builders" on the finish. you find yourself in a truly disagreeable state of affairs the place you'll want to sift via a number of dead details to get to the worthy stuff. as a rule i finished up simply looking google, and bought higher results.
2) loss of extra advanced examples. let's accept it, nobody must write a very easy char driving force. even though, that is as advanced because the examples get. past the scull driving force, it is simply code fragments. I in actual fact wish you do not have to put in writing a serial tty gadget. Which leads me to my subsequent point.
3) outmoded. Many kernel API alterations were made to the purpose the place the code is not any longer compilable (especially at the tty front). equipment utilized in the publication were performed away with within the more moderen kernel API's.
Honestly, you are far better off simply resorting to Google. with a view to write your individual motive force and also you learn via this booklet, you will nonetheless don't know the place to begin. The services within the scull driving force are well-described, yet that is it. The authors use an excessive amount of house writing approximately dead crap you actually do not care approximately, and this comes on the rate of beneficial info
that will truly assist you write drivers.
This publication will most likely arise in your google searches, and it would be worthy it to skim the normal chapters. truthfully although, it isn't going to inform you something your different seek effects will not. this can be probably now not the "end all, be all" of writing linux drivers, it simply occurs to be the single one.
- Performance Tuning for Linux Servers
- The Art of Linux Kernel Design: Illustrating the Operating System Design Principle and Implementation
- SUSE Linux 10 unleashed
- Ubuntu Unleashed (2014 Edition)
- Linux Networking Cookbook
- Linux fundamentals
Extra resources for Automation through Chef Opscode
Attributes are applied in chef in the following order, 1 being the lowest precedence and 16 the highest. Table 5-1 also describes the same thing in a different way, where 1 is the lowest precedence level and 15 is the highest. Table 5-1. Attribute precedence level Attribute Files Node/Recipe Environment Role Default 1 2 3 4 Force_default 5 6 Normal 7 8 Override 9 10 11 12 Force_override 13 14 Automatic 15 Identify Resources The next step is to identify the resources that would be required for successful compilation of the recipes.
Creating cookbooks. • Creating roles/environments or any other policies and then uploading them to the chef server. • Managing nodes using knife. Prerequisite Before we start with the installation, we must make sure we meet the prerequisites required to install and configure a workstation properly. • A working chef server with which we will configure our workstation. • Chef client requires at least 512MB of RAM, 15GB storage, and one vCPU (virtual CPU) running properly. • The node should be able to interact with the chef server via HTTPS.
Automation through Chef Opscode by Navin Sabharwal