By Neil Matthew, Richard Stones
Beginning Linux Programming, Fourth version maintains its new angle to instructing UNIX programming in an easy and based means at the Linux platform. by using particular and practical examples, scholars study by way of doing, and may be able to circulation from being a Linux newbie to making customized functions in Linux. The ebook introduces basic techniques starting with the fundamentals of writing Unix courses in C, and together with fabric on uncomplicated method calls, dossier I/O, interprocess verbal exchange (for getting courses to paintings together), and shell programming. Parallel to this, the publication introduces the toolkits and libraries for operating with person interfaces, from less complicated terminal mode purposes to X and GTK+ for graphical consumer interfaces. complex issues are lined intimately comparable to methods, pipes, semaphores, socket programming, utilizing MySQL, writing purposes for the GNOME or the KDE machine, writing equipment drivers, POSIX Threads, and kernel programming for the newest Linux Kernel.
Read Online or Download Beginning Linux Programming (4th Edition) PDF
Similar linux books
Advance the talents you wish within the actual world
Hit the floor working with the street-smart education you'll locate during this functional booklet. utilizing a "year within the life" strategy, it can provide an inside of examine Linux management, with key info prepared round the genuine day by day projects, eventualities, and demanding situations you'll face within the box. This useful education instrument is loaded with hands-on, step by step workouts protecting all stages of Linux management, including:
* engaged on the command line
* Configuring and the kernel
* handling software program and processes
* Documenting the system
* operating with walls and dossier systems
* Configuring community features
* dealing with security
An important examine tool
This no-nonsense booklet additionally maps to the typical initiatives and examination goals for the Linux specialist Institute (LPI) LPIC-1 certification examination and CompTIA's Linux+ certification examination. So no matter if you're getting ready for certification or looking useful talents to wreck into the sphere, you'll locate the guideline you would like, such as:
* utilizing the command shell history
* Redirecting enter and output
* Resolving conflicts
* Reconfiguring the login screen
* dealing with RPM and Debian packages
* retaining your approach from runaway processes
* tracking your procedure for degraded functionality and defense problems
* utilizing journaling filesystems
* Configuring universal server software
The highway Smarts sequence is designed to aid present or aspiring IT pros positioned their certification to paintings for them. packed with sensible, actual international situations, each one publication positive factors genuine initiatives from the sphere after which bargains step by step routines that educate the abilities essential to whole these projects. and as the routines are established upon examination pursuits from top expertise certifications, each one highway Smarts ebook can be utilized as a lab handbook for certification prep.
This ebook says "Covering nine. 10 and 10. four" (sic) at the entrance hide, again hide, identify web page and copyright web page. in simple terms for those who learn the final sentence of a paragraph within the creation 17 pages into the ebook do you notice "This e-book covers Ubuntu model nine. 10". after which, on all 826 pages, there's not a unmarried point out of Ubuntu 10!
In truth, i actually do not know how an individual can provide this e-book five stars. to begin off on a good tone, i'm going to say what I beloved approximately it.
1) plenty of details. there isn't any denying this, it's very informitive. despite the fact that, it is a double edged swords (will speak about later)
2) the fundamental drivers are defined pretty much. The scull motive force is an effective technique to ease into driving force improvement, imo. basic sufficient that it is not too overwhelming and ununderstandable, yet no longer overly easy so you really get an idea of what is going on.
3) it truly is free.
That's it for the positives. Now for an important checklist of negatives.
1) many of the info is irrelevent. i think just like the authors misplaced concentration because the e-book went on, and forgot they weren't writing a basic "Linux Kernel" publication yet a particular ebook for drivers. Many a time do they spend pages upon pages occurring approximately whatever, in basic terms to say "but this is often by no means utilized by learn motive force builders" on the finish. you find yourself in a very disagreeable scenario the place you might want to sift via a number of lifeless information to get to the necessary stuff. more often than not i finished up simply looking google, and received larger results.
2) loss of extra advanced examples. let's accept it, not anyone must write a really basic char driving force. notwithstanding, that is as advanced because the examples get. past the scull motive force, it truly is simply code fragments. I in actual fact wish you do not have to jot down a serial tty gadget. Which leads me to my subsequent point.
3) superseded. Many kernel API alterations were made to the purpose the place the code isn't any longer compilable (especially at the tty front). tools utilized in the booklet were performed away with within the more recent kernel API's.
Honestly, you are far better off simply resorting to Google. in order to write your individual driving force and also you learn via this e-book, you will nonetheless don't know the place to begin. The capabilities within the scull driving force are well-described, yet that is it. The authors use an excessive amount of area writing approximately lifeless crap you actually do not care approximately, and this comes on the rate of helpful info
that will really assist you write drivers.
This ebook will most likely arise in your google searches, and it'd be worthy it to skim the standard chapters. truthfully although, it is not going to inform you something your different seek effects will not. this can be almost definitely no longer the "end all, be all" of writing linux drivers, it simply occurs to be the single one.
- Linux Troubleshooting for System Administrators and Power Users (HP Professional Series)
- Open Source Magazine (April 2014) [IN]
- Spring Into Linux
- Linux All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
- Ubuntu Unleashed 2008 Edition: Covering 8.04 and 8.10
Additional info for Beginning Linux Programming (4th Edition)
When Linux starts an application, it can take into account the version of a library required by the application to prevent major new versions of a library from breaking older applications. 3 distribution. Your output may differ slightly if you are not using this distribution. 3. conf, which needs to be processed by ldconfig if changed (for example, if X11 shared libraries are added when the X Window System is installed). You can see which shared libraries are required by a program by running the utility ldd.
Standards:: Language standards supported by GCC. * Invoking GCC:: Command options supported by `gcc’. * C Implementation:: How GCC implements the ISO C specification. * C Extensions:: GNU extensions to the C language family. * C++ Extensions:: GNU extensions to the C++ language. * Objective-C:: GNU Objective-C runtime features. 8. Type ? for help, m for menu item. You’re presented with a long menu of options that you can select to move around a complete text version of the documentation. Menu items and a hierarchy of pages allow you to navigate a very large document.
Getting Help The vast majority of Linux systems are reasonably well documented with respect to the system programming interfaces and standard utilities. This is true because, since the earliest UNIX systems, programmers have been encouraged to supply a manual page with their applications. These manual pages, which are sometimes provided in a printed form, are invariably available electronically. The man command provides access to the online manual pages. The pages vary considerably in quality and detail.
Beginning Linux Programming (4th Edition) by Neil Matthew, Richard Stones